Dr Dagmar Ó Riain-Raedel has been a member of the Department of History, University College Cork with a special research interest in Medieval History. She has lectured and published widely on the connections between Ireland and Europe from 600 to the 19th century.
She has a special interest in art and architecture, both medieval and modern and, particularly, in the buildings of Cork. In the last few years she has researched the legacy of the architectural family of Hills which contributed many noteworthy buildings to Cork.
She has been the Academic director of the Youghal Celebrates History conferences for the last twelve years.
Joan Johnson (nee Willoughby) was born in Dublin and attended Wesley College. Her interest in history began at school and extended to Irish Quaker history when she married into an Irish Quaker family and moved to Waterford in 1965.
She is a current member of the Friends’ Historical Committee and has served as a member of the National Archives Advisory Council. She wrote a chapter on Quaker famine relief in The Famine in Waterford (1995).This publication revealed for the first time significant Quaker relief at Ring. She was responsible for and contributed to the re-publication of Transactions of the Society of Friends during the Famine in Ireland (1996). She published James and Mary Ellis, Background and Quaker Famine Relief in Letterfrack (2000) and Early Quaker Burial Grounds in Waterford 1689-1826 (Decies 2000).
She is responsible for Waterford (Quaker) Meeting Archives and also serves as convenor of the Archives’ Committee at Newtown School, Waterford. During Newtown’s Bicentenary celebrations in 1998 she helped to produce and contributed to a catalogue on the life and work of artist Hilda Roberts, to accompany a touring retrospective exhibition of her work. She also provided photographs for Maurice Wigham’s History of Newtown School (1998) and other publications, drawing from the extensive photographic collection held in the school archives. She is currently researching 19th century Quaker merchants in Waterford.
During the last number of years she has given talks on various aspects of local Quaker history in Clifden, Dublin, Letterfrack and in Waterford, including Dungarvan and Ring.
William Hudson was born in Micklethwaite, Yorkshire, the child of the late Professor R.G.S. Hudson , F.R.S. and Jane Airey. He was educated at Bradford Grammar School and University College , London where he graduated in geology. After working overseas for a seismic exploration company, he returned to London where he completed a Master’s Degree in geophysics from the Royal School of Mines, Imperial College.He then joined Amoco International Company and spent the rest of his working life living and working on five continents. He married Sharon Isaac from Eastern Kentucky in 1985 and they now live in Austin, Texas. Hudson has a fascination with genealogy and family history for over forty years. He recently published “Greevz Fisher of Youghal and Leeds : from Quaker to Individualist and Freethinker”.
Angela Griffith is a lecturer with the History of Art Department, Trinity College Dublin. Her research focuses on early modern visual culture in Ireland, in particular the Arts and Crafts movement and fine art publishing. She is currently focusing on Irish artists and their involvement in illustration and recently co-curated an exhibition for the Long Room,TCD entitled Drawn to the Page; Irish artists and Illustration 1830-1930 which will also be the subject of a forthcoming book and a digital database.
Richard S. Harrison is a graduate of Trinity College, Dublin, an authority on Irish Quaker history, a contributor to the Journal of the Cork Historical and Archaeological Society, and to the Journal of the Friends Historical Society. He was a contributor to the Atlas of Cork City (2005) and is the author of several books on Cork history generally, and of others dealing with Irish Quaker business themes. Among his published titles are A Biographical Dictionary of Irish Quakers (2nd ed. 2008) and Merchants, Mystics and Philanthropists:350 Years of Cork Quakers (2006). He has most recently been working on a series of translations into Irish, aiming to extend the areas of literature available to the Irish-speaking community, and including Mil as gach Blath:Blaiseadh de Litríocht an Domhain, published in 2013.
Peter Murray is director of the Crawford Art Gallery Cork and has written extensively on Irish art.
Joan Rockley (née Russell) was born and bred in Cork and, up to the time of her marriage, when she moved to live in Dublin, was actively involved in the sporting and musical life of the city. She returned to Cork in 1989 and, in the following year, enrolled as a mature student in Arts & Humanities at UCC. While studying archaeology she became interested in the work of 19th century antiquarians and this led to research into the lives and activities of those who were based in Cork city and county. Among her publications is a book on Antiquarians and Archaeology in Nineteenth Century Cork (2008) based on her PhD thesis. Joan is involved with Archaeological and Historical societies in Cork and Whitegate/Aghada and continues to write and give talks to local groups.
Kieran Groeger has been a committee member since the first Youghal Celebrates History conference and is the author of the booklet Youghal Heritage Trail. He has a passionate interest in history, which he shares mainly via the internet.